2013 Search for the Mountain Goat©
Laurel Ridge, Home of the "Continental Divide" trail race / USA 10K National trail championship for 2009-2012, Will host our 2013 Search for the Mountain Goat Invitational.
Our race will start out on pavement, for spacing, and then run the same championship course.
Many believe that this is one of the toughest courses anywhere in the east.
The trail consist of wide open areas of grass, double track fire roads, challenging single track, roots, rocks, and parts of the trail are so steep that running will not be possible.
This course is gaureenteed to challenge the most experienced trail runner.
Top Male & Female (Series Champion) $1000
2nd Place Male & Female $250
Age group Champions $50
Age Groups (18-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70 and above. )
A limited number of Hotel-style rooms are available, at Higgins Lodge .Please register for these lodging opportunities through the camp website: www.Laurelridge.org
There is no camping available at the race site.
From-Salem and points east:
• Take Highway 421 West towards Boone
• Get off at exit 282, the North Wilkesboro/Statesville exit
• Make a right off the exit onto Highway 115; go 3 miles
• Make a right at the light onto Highway 18 North
• Follow 18 North for 20 miles, leaving North Wilkesboro and going up into the mountains
• As 18 levels off, you’ll see signs for Alleghany County and the Eastern Continental Divide as well as a 55 mph speed limit sign. The road for Laurel Ridge is coming up on your left.
• Make a left onto Darnell Woodie Road at the Laurel Ridge sign
• Follow Darnell Woodie up the mountain for about 1.5 miles; at the green Laurel Ridge sign, stay to the right of the fork to go to race site.
From Charlotte and points south:
• Take Interstate 77 North
• Get off at exit 73B, the 421 W towards North Wilkesboro exit
• Get off US 421 at exit 282, the North Wilkesboro/Statesville exit
• Follow directions above
From Asheville and points west:
• Take Interstate 40 East
• Get off at exit 132, the NC 16 exit towards Taylorsville
• NC 16 merges with NC 18 in about 30 miles
• Continue on NC 18 North
• Follow directions above
From Blacksburg,VA and points north:
• Take Interstate 81 South
• Take exit 81 Interstate 77 South
• Get off at exit 14, the Hillsville/Galax exit
• Make a right on US 221/US 58 West
•Make a left onto US 21/US 221 South after about 25 miles
•Make a right on US 221 after about 7 miles
• Make a left on NC 113 after about 9 miles
• Make a right on NC 18 after about 5 miles
• After about 2 miles you will pass under the Blue Ridge Parkway
• Make a right on Darnell Woodie Road at the Laurel